dimanche 18 novembre 2012

Happy Tabasgiving!

We recently celebrated Tabaski here (hence why I'm wishing you all a happy tabasgiving. Tabaski + Thanksgiving, get it? I'm sooo witty!) and it was actually a really cool way to see how far I've come in the last year. Timing worked out last year that I celebrated Tabaski in my training site three days before I installed into my permanent site. Last year I was nervous, terrified and still feeling really unsure in my abilities to integrate within my communities and function as a volunteer. Fast forward a year and Tabaski was a completely different thing. Although I still doubt my abilities to get any long lasting worthwhile work done, I had a blast! I spent my day hanging out with my family, eating extreme amounts of food, and then walking around at night greeting people. A tradition in my village (and probably all over the country) is that over Tabaski you walk around to everyone you know and ask forgiveness for wrong you may have done to them. My village got such a kick out of me coming around and begging their forgiveness. I may have been a little overly dramatic with some people, but it made it so much fun.

Since it's also Thanksgiving time I just want to take a little space and say how thankful I am for all of the blessings in my life. One thing that I didn't realize I should be thankful for before I came here is my ability to be creative and dream. The opportunities that are open to me are incredibly limitless and varied. I am thankful for my education which allows me to pursue my goals. I am so thankful for my family who have supported me all my life (even when I decide that the best thing I could possibly do is work in a remote village in western Africa for two years). Thank you to friends as well who have laughed with me and at times (ok, a lot of the time) have been there to tell me I'm being an idiot and to get my life back in gear.

Last but not least I'm so very grateful for the opportunity I have to be here in Senegal. Although I know I complain a lot this truly is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I've gotten not only personal growth from this, but a new family, friends and possibly amoebas.

So thank you to everyone that I have had the honor to interact with this last year. If you are in the States I hope your Thanksgiving is a wonderful one (and for crying out loud would you please celebrate the holiday instead of hitting the sales, go shopping the next day!) Much love from out here in Senegal!

Yeah, this guy is going to be eating Pumba for his feast

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire